Ecosystem services are a way of thinking about – and evaluating – the goods and services provided by nature that contribute to the well-being of humans. This MOOC will cover scientific (technical), economic, and socio-political dimensions of the concept through a mix of theory, case-studies, interviews with specialists and a serious-game.
By the end of this course, our aim is to enable you to:
- define the concept of ecosystem services, its principles and limitations
- understand the key services associated with any ressource (e.g., fresh water) through readings and case-studies
- appreciate the advantages and potential risks of monetising ecosystem services
- appreciate the social dimensions (power issues, cultural biases) embedded within any method
- integrate tactical advice on mainstreaming this approach into policy and standard government practices
- Optional: learn how to map ecosystem services with GIS tools